Sunday, April 15, 2012

You're Not From Round Here, Are You?


When I heard that my new friend Melinda had safely delivered her baby daughter into the world we were really happy for her and husband Thanh. Knowing that they needed some wheels for little Lilla we offered a long-term loan of our pram. In fact, I mentioned the pram loan to a few people hoping that word would spread to the happy couple.  I was puzzled by the reaction of this gesture. A few puzzled looks, raised eyebrows. It was only when a couple in church asked me what on earth a 'pram' was that I realised I should have been talking about my 'stroller!'  Good news is that they love the pram! But one of many occasions where we found ourselves stumped by an unexpected cultural difference.

Melinda's eldest two children join us for Cookie Baking at Easter.
Our Ukrainian neighbours recently asked me how I felt about Annie starting to talk with an American accent, and using American words and phrases. I understand why they might ask us this, but we have chosen to live here! Our little 3 year old has a sponge for a brain and is absorbing all of the world around her. Teaching her that there is a cultural difference in America is an important aspect of this experience. So we are now accustomed to her correcting us when we refer to the 'boot' of the car, or the 'loo' in a restaurant. Although, I have to admit that I was pleased to hear her inform my Mum via Skype that Mum could use these words because she doesn't live in America. I think Annie makes my point very well!

Anna's party group assembled ready to 'kick ass'....
Sorry, its a Unicorn piƱata! Annie on on far right encouraging the violence.
Easter here didnt have the extended holiday it does in the UK (Dan felt deprived) but we did enjoy the celebrations and in particular the Egg Hunts! Dana and Sean invited us to join them for a hunt which saw us clambering over the park behind their house looking to fill our baskets. We're still eating the chocolate!

The ladies flick through Ferri family photos whilst the kids look for eggs! Kelley, Dana and me.
Tom counts his out...
...but gets stuck in the basket.
The Winners Podium!
Anna and Annie at the Easter service.
The Griffins at Easter
We've found a great Farmer's Market on a Saturday where we buy all our fruit and veg.

The Popcorn Man!!!






And Annie continues to visit the local library every week for books and DVDs.

Returning books via the conveyor belt - such fun!!


The Children's Section.














And despite a very thrilling storm last week (I didn't take the photograph!) the weather has been warm and sunny, so much so that I have experienced slight sun burn today when dozing on our balcony, not realising how strong the sun was.

Photo of the Bay Bridge struck by lightening last week, as posted by Phil McGrew - a photographer from the city.

I was really pleased tonight when Annie asked me why some people in America have different coloured skin. Annie is clearly starting to notice the wonderful mixes of cultures here. So I took my time answering it, and as I explained about different nationalities thinking how clever she was, she gave me that puzzled look and raised eyebrow that I have become accustomed to when there is something lost in translation.

"I didnt mean that Mummy! I just wanted to know why you are so red after being in the sun."





No comments:

Post a Comment