Monday, July 13, 2015

Summertime

In my last post I boasted that our new Green Cards enable us to breeze through airport security. Ironic really, since during our first journey as Green Card holders, I lost them. 

Somewhere between the cab from our apartment and the cab to the hotel they fell out of my bag.  If it helps, I'm pretty sure I had them at some point in the 7 hour period over the 1000 mile distance?

Naturally, U.S. Immigration doesn't take this matter lightly. We were told to file a report with our local police station (in San Mateo and Vancouver), take out an ad in the local newspaper to provide a mechanism for them being returned (in San Mateo and Vancouver) and make ourselves known to the U.S. Embassy, with a bunch paperwork complete and several hundred dollars at the ready. Until this was done we would be denied entry back into the U.S.

At this news, even cool headed Dan started to steam from his ears. I strategically made my way towards the unopened bottle of wine on the hotel room table. And then Dan's phone rang, and Air Canada explained that they had found them on the plane and were flying them back to Vancouver if we wanted to go and collect them.

Wiping smudged mascara from my eyes, I opened the wine and pledged allegiance to Air Canada for all future air travel. In my defense, they are small cards. I'd show you, but Dan has politely told me I am never allowed to handle them again.

The view from the sea front at Coal Harbour - if you visit Vancouver, you must stay here.
No drought in Vancouver so we enjoyed plenty of water fountains and water parks - and long showers and baths! What does it matter if the children are getting wet in their clothes! Who cares - I have my Green Card back!
Sitting at the top of the steps looking down on the harbour.

A not so shabby view from our table at the Cactus Club cafe in Vancouver where we enjoyed a few lunches!
We cycled around the 9km long sea wall at Stanley Park - an 1000 acre park mostly surrounded by water and mainly covered by dense forest.
We visited Dan's former colleague Tom at his home in beautiful Deep Cove, a small fishing hamlet, surrounded by mountains and forests, and kayaked in the cove. My personal favourite moment of the week in the photo above. 

Dan had spent a few weeks prior to our holiday traveling between Vancouver, Edmonton and Montreal as part of VISA's sponsorship of the Women's World Cup matches. It was the first time we have been able to join him on a work trip which coincided with the final match - an amazing opportunity, but we were gutted England didn't make it!

Dan arranged for the trophy and World Cup mascot, Sheume the Owl, to visit the hotel and meet some of the VISA competition winners, so we got to shake the owl by the wing and get a close up look at the World Cup.
Annie did some press ups with Sheume, and later Tom and the Owl did a Gangnam Style dance together. Priceless!
We had great seats in front of the VIP section, where Vice President, Joe Bidden was sat. Although Annie was enthralled by the game, Tom was a bit bored, and by half time was jumping around on his seat. It was then that I noticed he didn't have any underpants on and was grinning at my 'discovery'. 
A few steps from our hotel Fox Sports had erected this temporary studio for match commentary and interviews. The morning after the game we wandered down to see the U.S. team being interviewed with the trophy. Annie was desperate to get on television and kept waving at the camera. So if you see her please tell her you saw her on TV!

Just before we flew to Canada I finished a project for my new client - my first paid part time job since we moved here. Without a Green Card I have been unable to work, although what that really means is that I can't earn money. In that sense I haven't stopped 'working' since we moved here having been involved in many different volunteering projects. I've enjoyed doing the work, but it's a learning curve working across different timezones and for an industry I have little experience in. I plan to save every dollar towards flights back to the UK. There are several family members and friends who are going through a tough time right now and I would love to give them all a supportive hug.  

Summer starts earlier in California with schools finishing during the first week in June. It means that as UK schools break up, we have already had five weeks off. Our mornings are free for Skype calls to the UK and we can explore further afield with the children as the weather heats up.

Both children had a good school year. Tom starts pre-school in September at the same school he has been attending until now, and Annie has completed first grade. She had a wonderful teacher, who was passionate and encouraging, giving Annie a 'can do' attitude to learning. Although it's slightly self indulgent, we are very proud of her so are thrilled to share part of her report!


And the summer has already begun with:

Annie's End of Term Science Fair submission
There was stiff competition in every age category - my particular favorite was the child who wanted to see if Huggies night time nappies actually hold as much water as day time nappies...and no, they don't. Even though they cost more!
Hiding away at my favourite spot at Filoli Gardens, watching the world go by.
Discovering new beaches along Half Moon Bay - this one near Pillar Point had calm water and few tourists.
Hiking at Edgewood Park. Three family rules for hiking: (1) You won't be carried so don't moan, and judge for yourself when you want to turn around. (2) If you see a Mountain Lion, scream loudly. 
And (3) - run fast downhill! You'll learn for yourself when you need to slow down so won't rely on us to yell that at you, and when you're grown up and boring you will remember these moments as the times you were really, truly free.
Annie has started tennis lessons and we are so proud of how well she is playing.  The classes are competitive and she is leaning she isn't always the best and doesn't always do a 'great job' - something that I don't think does her harm to hear occasionally. Tom and I indulged in some selfies whilst we watched her.
And finally this beautiful photograph taken from the rose bench at Filoli Gardens. What on earth did I do to deserve them?

No comments:

Post a Comment