Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Irish In Us All

Today was St. Patrick's Day and to celebrate many people wore green. There was an Irish theme at both children's schools today, and our local cafe was serving traditional Irish food. It's lovely that people connect to Ireland in some way. Or maybe they don't connect at all and just like an excuse to party!

Last Saturday I went into the city to meet some friends from Wales. The train was packed with people heading to the St. Patricks Day Parade. I found myself squashed up against young party revelers playing music, wearing green clothes and drinking soft drinks. When I say clothes, I mean barely there shorts and I doubt they were soft drinks. They didn't look a day over 18 and we wouldn't have called that music in my day! Sometimes when I speak my Mother comes out, I know!

The sceptic in me wondered how many of them were Irish or had ever been to Ireland. And then my friend sent me a text with the final Wales vs. Ireland rugby score. I smiled to myself, not just because Ireland had lost, but at the irony of me finding this out on a train full of Irish fans who probably didn't know there was a rugby game on at all!

The children celebrating the Welsh success
I wasn't prepared to miss my early morning run to watch the game live, but I left my fellow runners in no doubt of my support for Wales. It turns out that a lady I often see running along the same trail is Welsh! Who knew?!
The biggest and most exciting thing to happen this past month was my brother's wedding. Mike and Andrea married in a small, beautiful ceremony in Wandsworth on Valentine's Day and although it was bitter sweet for me not being there, it was a sweet, sweet day for them! We got to watch it on a webcam and might not have been with them in person, but were toasting their good health and happiness with several bottles of bubbly throughout the day. The wine flowed in London too, and as two families came together, a few hangovers were created. It must be that Irish blood in us! 

My grandmother thought the idea that we were watching the wedding service on a webcam from 6000 miles away was wonderful! She kept waving at us throughout the service, and apparently continued to wave to all of the corner wall sensors in the Town Hall and wedding venue for the rest of the day. And no, she's not Irish!

The new Mr and Mrs Edwards
My Mum, Dad and Brother, Mike

The Welsh friends I was meeting in the city were six ladies from Bridgend. I knew Denise from my days at Bridgend Rugby Club 17 years ago (eek!) Her and five friends were celebrating a 60th birthday with a tour of Vegas/SF. Their priority for the day was to explore the city via some bars. On the fourth drink, at a bar in Fisherman's Wharf which couldn't be less San Franciscan, I peered into the dodgy glass of red wine with some hesitation when one of the ladies leaned in and whispered "You're from Bridgend. Get it down you girl!" Fair play.


The St. Patricks Day Parade marching down Market Street. My Welsh friends, dressed in their red jerseys were largely ignored by the majority of Irish enthusiasts except for one elderly Irish chap who stepped out of the parade line to shake us all by the hand to congratulate us on a superb win.

And without wishing to sound like I have an alcohol problem, I also had a very over indulgent week on the grapes when my British friend Polly came to visit with her daughter, Robin. They were staying as part of a round the world trip and I enjoyed every minute of their company! I got to recall fun memories with Polly as we talked about our former days working together in Cardiff, and remembering all that I achieved when I worked in the sporting world there. It might not have been good on the liver, but it was good for the ego and soul!

Playing tourists
Riding the cable cars
For some reason Polly took photographs of all of her hosts wearing false mustaches. Dan and I didn't need convincing.
Eating oysters at sunset at Sam's
And as the weather has warmed up to temperatures of around 25 degrees we have enjoyed some outside time:

Exploring the Aids Memorial Garden in the Golden Gate Park
Playing at Koret Playground
Tom and I catching the train into the city to explore the cable car museum

Running around outside the Ferry Building

It makes sense to be proud of where we have come from, but we also need to be proud of where we live to teach our children about patriotism.  To be frank, I can't say I'm patriotic about America. I don't relate to the American flag, or the idea of 'United' States, just as many British people would admit to not relating to the European flag or European Union. But I feel very patriotic about California, especially Northern California - it's sunshine, liberalism, tenacity, uniqueness and optimism - California seems so different to the other states I have visited and poles apart from the typical European perception of America. It's so culturally diverse that I sometimes wonder if California is American at all!

Not today at any rate. Today this state is Irish.

Happy St. Patrick's Day - to my Irish family, my Irish friends and anyone else who needs an excuse to wear green.

No comments:

Post a Comment