We've been home for almost six weeks and its taken longer than expected to return to normal.
It didn't help that I passed out on the plane and was given oxygen to recover. I was trying to mouth 'I need wine' at Carol, the BA staff member who came to my rescue but despite my protests she thought oxygen was a better option (all joking aside, I was fine after a glass of water and thankfully the children slept through it).
Whilst being reunited with Dan was super fantastic, a few days after arriving home I couldn't get rid of a shaky feeling. After a few 'episodes' not unlike my experience with Carol, I had some blood tests and got diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I was given one of those blood testing monitors and had to change my diet to control my glucose intake (not that I eat much sugar).
A few days and a lot of protein later things were no better so I went to see an endocrinologist who confirmed - beyond doubt - that I am not diabetic. He put my high blood sugar levels down to anxiety. Clearly the time away from home was more stressful than I thought, but I am very relieved about the diabetes. Thankfully, all is much better now and I'm even enjoying wine again (don't tell Carol).
 |
| Celebrating not being diabetic with some pasta and prosecco. |
A week later our family had to have some medical tests for the purpose of securing our green cards. Dan and I had to have blood tests to prove that we don't have syphilis - of all things - and all four of us were tested for TB. Where we couldn't prove we had received an immunization (like whooping cough or rubella) we were simply given the immunization. At $50 a shot and $400 a medical exam it was an expensive - and a painful - few days!
(Note to potential emigrators - take your childhood medical records with you!)
The doctor told us that three out of four of us were clear of TB and then abruptly left the room. Dan and I were left staring at each other wondering which one of us had TB! Apparently Dan's childhood BCG vaccine messed with his results so he was lucky enough to pay for a lung x-ray in order to get the all clear!
 |
| Playing doctors whilst we wait for the TB results |
It was a shaky 24 hours when I heard that my good friend Angelina had gone into labour. Eighteen months ago Angelina delivered a beautiful baby girl named Violet who died the day before her due date. Running with Angelina during her time of grief and getting to know her husband Phil since that time has been such a privilege. They are an incredibly inspiring couple. I danced in the street and sobbed like a child when I got the message that baby Leah had been born - healthy and beautiful and already loved by an entire community of people in San Mateo, just as Violet was.
 |
| An image I have prayed to see |
 |
| Gladys - who stayed at hospital with Angelina and Phil during the labour. Her text announcing the birth simply said 'I can hear a baby crying - all is well!' |
And of course, how can I talk about shaky feelings without mentioning the 6.0 earthquake that rocked the Napa region last week? We'd enjoyed a few drinks the night before, so after waking at 3.20am to feel the bed rocking forwards and backwards it was the empties rattling in the kitchen that really caught my attention! What surprised me most was the length of the quake - I've heard it was 25-30 seconds. After failing to wake Dan I tiptoed through our apartment staring in wonder at the moving blinds and swinging light shades - the shaking seemed to go on for such a long time, and we were only feeling a diluted shake. After checking on the children and with my heart racing I looked out of our top floor apartment window, across the Bay waters and realized just how little we can do when the earth moves like that. Frightening stuff when you think that in 1906 a 7.8 earthquake hit San Francisco and lasted for 90 seconds.
 |
| Annie turned six on August 12th - we celebrated with a day in Half Moon Bay... |
 |
| ...and an evening dinner party for Annie and some school friends. |
And finally, just when we thought we were finished with the UK phase of our summer a BA plane arrived with our wonderful nephews and Dan's sister and bro in law on board! The last two weeks have been a really good laugh, and just what the doctor ordered. A great chance to spend time with family, and remind ourselves of the wonderful reasons why we love living here.
 |
| My favourite place to go - Fitzgerald Marine Reserve, Half Moon Bay (and then Sam's Chowder House for lobster and beer) |
 |
| There is no better place to view the bridge than from the Warming Hut pier |
 |
| Such fun at the Santa Cruz boardwalk. How could I say no to my 12 year old nephew begging me to join him on the Great Dipper - because an earthquake that morning just wasn't enough of a buzz for me! |
 |
| Running the bridge at 'fog rise' |
 |
| Exploring the redwood trees away from any tourists in Huddart Park |
 |
| Attending a kids rock festival in Redwood City - Kidchella |
 |
| Being able to show off this part of the world to Harry and Teddy, and inspiring them to see the wider world has been awesome! How could they not see the Giants play whilst they were here! |
 |
| The annual firefighters chili cook off in San Mateo with live music. Some seriously tasty chili! |
The best burgers in town - Alice's restaurant, Woodside
 |
| A pool party at the Linquists home - where the wonderful view from the.... |
 |
| ...top of the tree house is only rivaled by..... |
 |
| ...the view from Twin Peaks where it really feels like the top of the world - no shaky feelings at all here! |
No comments:
Post a Comment