Just incase you haven't heard (maybe you've been on another planet) I nailed my Angel Island race last weekend. I ran ten miles of hill trails, climbed 1390 ft during the race, finished in 2.01 mins which was 14 minutes quicker than my predicted time and came sixth in my age group. Did I mention it was my first ever race?
 |
Angel Island is a state park in the middle of San Francisco Bay, with 100 years of military history. The views from the top of Mt. Livermore - which rises 788 ft above the Bay - were breath taking.
|
It's fair to say I was a little anxious the night before the run (Dan suggested I might be 'cranky'). I had run more than 100 miles in training over eight weeks and having never been to Angel Island was struggling to imagine what the trails would look like. I was worried about being too slow, struggling with the hills, falling, failing; 'I won't be able to do it'.
It didn't help that just before bed time that night I realized I had left my running kit - including my ipod and made to measure 'sneakers' - in my gym locker. A 20 minute dash up Highway 101 in my PJs reminded me that I wanted to run the race!
Angel Island is car free, so we took the Ferry over from Tiburon. Cat warned me to hydrate as much as I could, but the drive up to Tiburon was too much for my 37 year old bladder. I was thrilled when her beady eyes spotted a dark grey restroom from the road. She pulled over, I hobbled down the embankment only to find it wasn't a restroom at all. I now deeply regret the 2 minute watering I gave the garden of the people who live at number 64, but I honestly had no choice.
 |
| Pre race at the Ferry Terminal with Cat, who finished at 1.47 mins and came third in her age category - she was like a machine around the trails. |
 |
| Five miles and a steeper second climb ahead. Knowing Dan was waiting for me at the half way point helped many steps. I had a huge smile as he yelled 'GO LOUL' as I ran off in an upwardly direction. |
 |
| View from near the top - Alcatraz, Bay Bridge and the city - spot the parallel steep streets |
 |
| Finishing - rather pleased with myself. I WILL I WILL I WILL! |
The race was hard, fantastic, exhausting, rewarding. I wanted to finish without regrets, to cross the line on empty, to give every bit of energy I had to the race. I learned that my mental state counted for as much as my physical state. You can read more about the race in Cat's running blog (Click here)
Annie had her own performance to consider this weekend in front of an audience of 500 when she took part in her school's 25th Anniversary choreographed show. The show featured 275 students in over 40 acts with a chorus of 120 children. Annie and her friends performed to Bobby Darins's Splish Splash song.
We marvelled at the sheer size of the show, arranged and designed entirely by parent volunteers. It was held at the nearby High School Theatre. After I had dropped Annie off at the Green Room, and before we took our seats, we watched a baseball game in the sun, humming along to 1950s rehearsal music and listening to the Californian kids chatting. It felt like a scene from Grease. Hello Rydell High!
Whilst Annie had talked a great deal about her theatre performance, we heard very little about her Tuesday folk dancing classes at school. This morning on the way to school she casually mentioned something about a folk dancing concert for the parents. Thankfully I had the camera in the car and walked in (brushing my hair with my hand) nodding with other parents about how excited I was to see the much anticipated performance. What performance?!
Before she went into the hall she told me to look out for the moment she introduces the dances. She said she would come to the front and tell the audience the history of the Kinder Polka. What? You are speaking in public? Without consulting me? Annie assured me she would be fine, that I didn't need to worry, that she could do it. She has an 'I can' attitude that surprises me every time I see it.
 |
Annie far left. Not necessarily British ‘folk’ dancing as we know it, but the Northern Californian equivalent, which means a mix of old Mexican dances, some Eastern European Balkan dances and hippy flower-power routines with multi coloured scarfs being thrown around.
|
 |
| She looks a bit fed up now that her public speaking role has finished! |
Some recent days out in the warmer sunshine:
 |
| Exploring the redwood forest at Huddart Park |
 |
| Lunch at the de Young Museum - ready... |
 |
| steady... |
 |
| TACKLE! |
 |
| Annie taking part in an open day in the children's garden at the San Francisco Botanic Gardens |
 |
| Blood moon gazing last night - Tom, Daddy, Mummy and Werewolf Annie |
And finally, British friends of ours, Helen and Darren, who moved here two years ago, decided to say 'I do' this month. After 20 years of being together Darren tried to convince us he was being romantic, but we all knew it was mainly about securing Helen's residential visa! And they timed it perfectly - a couple of weeks after the birth of their second son, a week after Darren turned 40 and days after selling their house in the UK. Why not!
We heard they were planning a quiet affair, but couldn't let that happen. More than 50 guests travelled up to the city to witness the union of two people who have been together longer than most of us in the room, and could teach us all something about handling life's ups and downs! The service had a personal touch to it with our church mate Lois marrying them, and Helen walking down the aisle to a Beatles song.
Whilst flattered and very honoured, I was surprised when they asked me to read a poem at their wedding. I wondered if they might prefer to ask someone they had known for longer. Helen was very assured in her response to my doubts. She explained that it wasn't the length of time they had known us that mattered. She said that by reading at their wedding we would be friends for the rest of our lives, and that is what they wanted.
Now
there is a sentiment to live by!
 |
| Watching the view and waiting for the bride. |
 |
| There's something in the way she moves... |
 |
| Amazing Lois, and me thankful to have a loud voice! |
 |
| Matching ties - the two men in my life. |
 |
| The happy couple - and our friends for life. |
No comments:
Post a Comment