Saturday, August 17, 2013

L-O-V-E


After three weeks with us, Dans parents fly home in a few days time. We have had great fun with them, showing them around our stomping ground in the Bay Area. We also got to explore pastures new with them, journeying over the state line to Lake Tahoe for a few days.

The lake was created 12 million years ago - who says America doesnt have history?!

Standing at the shoreline of Lake Tahoe I wondered if I had ever seen a more breathtaking view. It was truly stunning! 120 square miles of crisp blue, completely clear, calm waters set against layers of serene mountains. No noise at 7am. I had tried to run, but the 7000 ft altitude meant that it was a struggle to run the usual distance (or perhaps it was the wine the previous night!) 

Is Tahoe the most beautiful place Ive ever visited? I am tenaciously proud of my home country so it takes some pushing aside of guilt to admit this. But as I stood on the shores of the lake watching the sun rise, my iPod playing a good tune, I quickly reached the conclusion that Tahoe is the most beautiful place I have seen in the world. I am officially in L-O-V-E!

Having the grandparents here means we have racked up a couple of dates this month. It would be rude not to make the most of the babysitters after all! We sailed on the Bay, kayaked on the Lake, ate some good food, and drank a few glasses of vino together. We also enjoyed a night in a Nevada casino, watching very old ladies stubbing out cigarettes into full ashtrays and throwing $20 bills into slot machines called 'Cleopatra's Chest' and 'Hairway to Heaven'. I'll spare you the photographs!


Holding on tight
The catamaran we sailed on

A view of the bridge you dont normally see

Watching the sun set on a floating bar at Tahoe

We were lucky to enjoy Dans parents being with us whilst we celebrated Annie's fifth birthday - a party with friends at our local children's gym and a trip to the Bay Discovery Museum. Annie continues to amaze me with her constant kindness to others, how she introduces herself to new friends with such confidence, and how she devours plates of calamari and orders rare tuna in restaurants. Now that she's five she wants to paint her own nails, lock her bedroom door and cook her own meals. I fear that by her sixth birthday she might be telling us she is moving into her own apartment, althought don't doubt for a moment that she would survive.

The Birthday Cakes - a pirate theme!

Birthday Girl

We have asked Dans parents what has impressed them most about their first trip to California.  They both agreed that they were surprised by the lack of 'Americaness' of the region, that it is an area made up of multiple cultures. They have enjoyed seeing Dan so relaxed compared to the higher stress levels he experienced in the UK. They both said how polite and friendly everyone has been. Both have enjoyed the year round ripeness of fresh fruit and vegetables and as a result Dans father has been our live-in chef for three weeks! And of course, they have loved being with us and the grandchildren, especially in such a beautiful setting. Id go as far as to say that they seem to be in L-O-V-E with this place!


Paddling in the ocean at Half Moon Bay

Son and Dad

Grand daughter and Bubby

Mum and Son

They also agreed with us that there is a different sense of humour here than we are used to. I'm dont think Americans totally get sarcasm. My parents noticed it too. Our butcher recently asked me if I knew Tom Jones, being from Wales and all that. I replied that on a clear day in Wales you can open a window and hear him singing. At this point I gave our butcher a big 'as if' grin, but still he gasped with joy and ran off to share the news with a colleague. Furthermore, when my Dad asked me to take some information on Welsh trains into a model railway shop in San Mateo I handed them over and explained Dad was a bit crazy (about trains!). The shop owner took my 'crazy' hand gesture as a sign that Dad was mentally incapacitated and offered his condolences.

I often wonder at what point our home here will become 'home' in the very sense of the word. I still call Bridgend 'home' but also refer to the UK as 'home'. For a bit more stability we have applied for green cards. We have moved away from being grateful to have found a house to rent and are starting to begrudge investing in property for someone else. Annie starts school in a few weeks and that will deepen roots here. 

It's standing on the shoreline of Lake Tahoe that makes me want to stay. Being in L-O-V-E with this part of the world. Yet, waving goodbye to both sets of parents this summer makes my heart twist at the prospect of deepening roots here, so far away from family.

But as I stood at the Tahoe shoreline following my feeble attempt at a morning run, the good tune playing on my iPod was Stereophonics - the Welsh band - singing 'Have a Nice Day'. A great view with a Welsh soundtrack. It means that whatever the view out of your window, wherever you live and whatever or whoever you fall in love with, home has to be where your heart is.

No comments:

Post a Comment